I have been eating Keto and Low Carb for the last year and a half almost. My husband and I recently decided to try out this egg fast everyone was talking about. The fact that he was going to be doing it with me, made things easier.
But, the fact that we have two young kids we still had to cook for, well, that made it a bit harder. In this post I will let you know how we made it through a 5 day egg fast.
The rules for this egg fast are pretty simple. Pin the image I created so you can easily find it if you need to.
- Eat a minimum of 6 eggs per day.
- Eat one tablespoon of healthy fat (butter, mayonnaise, coconut oil, etc.) per egg.
- Enjoy up to 3 ounces of cheese per day.
- Within 30 minutes of waking up, eat your first egg.
- Eat an egg every 3 to 4 hours.
- Stop eating at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Add salt whenever you can (electrolytes are important!).
- Condiments and spices are OK to add (hot sauce, pepper, paprika, etc.).
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.
- You can drink Diet Soda, but a maximum of 3 a day.
- Egg fast for a minimum of 3 days, and a maximum of 5 days.
We at first planned on doing 3 days, but then had the bright idea to do Monday through Friday, so 5 days total. To prepare, we hard boiled 2 dozen eggs, and purchased another 3 dozen.
We made some deviled eggs and egg salad, since mayonnaise is a healthy fat that we were allowed (and encouraged) to have. I shredded two full blocks of cheddar cheese (if you didn’t already know, the pre-shredded stuff can have hidden carbs so be careful) to use for omelettes and scrambled eggs.
The night before we made one of our favorite meals (keto Sausage Stir Fry) to hopefully stop any cravings – and we were ready!
What We Ate
There aren’t a lot of meal options when you have such strict guidelines that basically only includes eggs, or so I thought. We actually found a wide variety of foods to eat and enjoy.
The main thing I would suggest is try to switch it up throughout the day. Having something different for breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner can stop you from feeling like you are eating the same thing over and over for 5 days.
These are the ways we enjoyed our eggs throughout the week:
- Scrambled Eggs
- Deviled Eggs
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Poached Eggs
- Fried Eggs
- Egg Salad
Remember, you can have up to 3 ounces of cheese per day, so we tended to eat one or two cheese sticks per day as well.
Now, I really should mention that I was doing the 21 Day Fix workout while on this fast as well. Of course, I was not following the eating rules (honestly, I never have and I have done this workout many times).
- DAY ONE: No cravings all day.
- DAY TWO: I was down 2 pounds which had me over the moon and helped me curb any cravings.
- DAY THREE: Down another 2 pounds and I could not believe it. Minimal cravings for other foods.
- DAY FOUR: Down 1.5 pounds and the cravings subsided. I was actually looking forward to the next egg.
- DAY FIVE: Down another pound! Yes! The cravings were real this day, likely because I knew it was just about over.
On the morning after my 5 day egg fast, I was down a grand total of 7.5 lbs! Not too shabby if you ask me. After a full weekend of back to regular keto eating, I was maintaining (and even down another half a pound).
Overall, this egg fast was a lot easier than I thought it would be and is something I plan to do every 2 months or so. And honestly, we didn’t experience any gas! I know many have been asking – hard to believe, but true!
You Might Also Enjoy...
Tessa Smith is a Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer-approved Film and TV Critic. She is also a Freelance Writer. Tessa has been in the Entertainment writing business for almost ten years and is a member of several Critics Associations including the Critics Choice Association, Hollywood Critics Association, and the Greater Western New York Film Critics Association.