Guys, I am over the moon excited to share with you that casting for “Aladdin,” the live-action adaptation of Disney’s animated classic, is complete and production is currently underway at Longcross Studios outside London! This is a movie that I have been waiting for for a long time. One of my favorite Disney movies growing up was always Aladdin. I love all of the music – and even used to put on concerts with my friends for my parents featuring the soundtrack!
While I think that Robin Williams’ Genie is going to be hard to beat, if anyone has a shot of coming close, it is Will Smith. I am super excited about the whole cast – and the fact that there will be two new songs. Yup, TWO NEW SONGS! I am really looking forward to seeing what Disney comes up with. I am pretty confident that they will make one of my childhood favorites even better!
The “Aladdin” cast includes:
- Two-time Oscar® nominee Will Smith as the Genie who has the power to grant three wishes to whoever possesses his magic lamp.
- Mena Massoud as Aladdin, the hapless but lovable street rat who is smitten with the Sultan’s daughter.
- Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine, the Sultan’s beautiful daughter who wants to have a say in how she lives her life.
- Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, an evil sorcerer who devises a nefarious plot to unseat the Sultan and rule Agrabah himself.
- Navid Negahban as the Sultan, the ruler of Agrabah who is eager to find a proper husband for his daughter, Jasmine.
- Nasim Pedrad as Dalia, Princess Jasmine’s hand maiden and confidante.
- Billy Magnussen as Prince Anders, a suitor from Skanland and potential husband for Princess Jasmine.
- Numan Acar as Hakim, Jafar’s right-hand man and head of the palace guards.
“Aladdin” is directed by Guy Ritchie from a screenplay by John August based on the 1992 animated film “Aladdin” and stories from “One Thousand and One Nights.” The producer is Dan Lin with Golden Globe® winner Marc Platt, Jonathan Eirich, and Kevin De La Noy serving as executive producers. Eight-time Academy Award®-winning composer Alan Menken provides the score, which includes new recordings of the original songs written by Menken and Oscar®-winning lyricists Howard Ashman and Tim Rice as well as two new songs written by Menken and Oscar® and Tony Award®-winning songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.
Connect on Social