I’ve Never Seen Iron Man 2. Here’s What I Thought.
After a bit of a vibe change with The Incredible Hulk, it’s time to head back to the Iron Man universe. Iron Man 2 brought back many of the characters who made an impression in the first chapter, but brought even more drama and villains to the screen.
I had some thoughts.
1. I’m excited to go back to Tony Stark after that terrible Incredible Hulk movie.
2. We’re in Moscow and it’s snowing — the trope is alive and well.
3. I wish Tony had a microphone nearby so that he could do a mic drop after saying “I am Iron Man.”
4. Is that Mickey Rourke???
5. It IS! I wonder what he has in store for us today.
6. Mickey might be the only person who could pull off round safety goggles and not look entirely silly.
7. As I’m reading the actors in the opening credits, this movie is STACKED with talent.
8. Best supporting actor: the parrot.
9. IT’S ALIVE!!!! Another glowing orb thingy is alive!!
10. They love their AC/DC songs in these movies.
11. Wow Tony Stark is the king of exceptional entrances.
12. But seriously can you even imagine what it’d be like to see a superhero fly around and then drop in on a stage? These audience members seem too chill.
13. The answer to world peace is Iron Man? Noted.
14. Blood toxicity of 19% cannot be good.
15. Ahhh Stan Lee sighting!
16. If only Senate hearings could be this entertaining!
17. Tony Stark and Hammer going toe-to-toe with each other is so fun to watch. Again, why can’t Senate hearings be like this all the time.
18. Oh no, no Terrance Howard as Rhodey this time!
19. Tony really just hacked into this government system without a problem. That does not bode well for security.
20. Hammer is EXPOSED!
21. It’s all fun and games, Tony, until Mickey Rourke gets his goggles back on and starts working on his suit.
22. The parrot has competition for best supporting actor because the robot is still my absolute favorite character in these movies.
23. Sassy Pepper is back and better than ever! And yes it absolutely is her art collection.
24. CEO Pepper Potts has a great ring to it.
25. Why hello Ms. Scarlett Johansson! Except that Natalie Rushman doesn’t sound very Russian…
26. Her boxing moves kick ass.
27. Monte Carlo is so gorgeous, I can’t believe they’re hurting me this much by showing it to me.
28. I seriously cannot stand this reporter portrayal.
29. Blood toxicity up to 53%. At this rate Tony isn’t going to make it to the end of the movie.
30. I’ve seen plenty of episodes of Netflix’s “Formula 1: Drive to Survive” and I don’t recall seeing a Stark among the racers.
31. Uh oh, there’s cool-looking Mickey Rourke. He even manages to make orange look good.
32. OK, he actually might rival Tony for coolest entrance.
33. Something this wild has definitely never happened on “Formula 1: Drive to Survive.”
34. It’s go-time: Tony v. Madman Rourke. Everyone at this Grand Prix is really getting their admission ticket’s worth.
35. Thanks security for finally showing up after Mickey literally terrorized everyone!
36. I’m desperate to hear Rourke’s Russian accent.
37. I guess it’s not awful.
38. Three hours for an omelet LOL.
39. “Not everybody runs on batteries, Tony.” If only you knew, Pepper.
40. Alright, who is in charge of this prison? How is all of this happening in Mickey’s favor?
41. Of course it’s Hammer!
42. Hammer eating dessert first goes against every principle my parents set.
43. Everyone can just hack into systems in this movie apparently.
44. Natalie is definitely making moves with Tony!
45. What would Tony Stark do if it was his last birthday? DJ in his suit. Noted.
46. Rhodey is PISSED!
47. Honestly this party sucks. Why would anyone want to get watermelon guts splattered all over them?
48. The return of my favorite suit!
49. Grown men will literally fight in Iron Man suits and destroy a mansion rather than face their real problems and go to therapy.
50. Even Rhodey gets to make a cool entrance. I love that for him.
51. BIG NATALIE REVEAL! Agent Romanoff in the flesh!
52. Hammer keeps saying you can’t fit your head in the drone helmet, but I think I could do it.
53. Tasers and “Supernanny”? What a fabulous afternoon!
54. How do guns and weapons like this even exist?
55. The Howard Stark blooper reel is cinematic gold.
56. Omg he’s talking to Tony! His greatest creation is his son, I’m going to cry!
57. I really want to know the backstory of why Tony doesn’t like being handed things.
58. Pepper has to deal with so much BS now that she’s CEO. AND Tony got her strawberries that she can’t even eat!
59. That’s certainly one way to transport this mini city, Tony!
60. He’s just constantly destroying this house. He doesn’t deserve it.
61. Was that shield a hint for an upcoming Avenger?
62. This guy can create a new element like it’s no biggie.
63. Doesn’t Hammer know by this point that Mickey Rourke plays by his own rules?
64. Tony is #glowing! Self care!
65. That was a cute little dance from Hammer. Awful newspaper joke though.
66. NOOOOO!!! Hammer destroyed the gorgeous gold Iron Man suit!
67. Now THAT’S how you make an entrance, Tony!
68. Wow, who would have thought the Russian madman would hack into the drones and compromise everything? Clearly not Hammer.
69. “STEP ASIDE! STEP ASIDE!” I’m obsessed with Pepper.
70. Sassy Natasha is great, too.
71. Awww Tony saved the kid! What a superhero!
72. Natasha is so cool. I officially have a crush!
73. Women get stuff done. She took down like 15 people while Hogan barely escaped one guy.
74. Natasha really said, “Did you try turning it off and on again?” when talking about Rhodey’s suit.
75. I bet Natasha could take on these drones without a problem.
76. And now it’s time for the mega electric Rourke drone.
77. He really loves his electric ropes. I need to know the backstory with that.
78. The mega hand explosion makes a comeback and destroys absolutely everything in sight.
79. Mom and dad (Pepper and Tony) are fighting, and I don’t like it!
80. “You look like two seals fighting over a grape” LOL!
81. This personality review is hilarious. How do you approve Tony and not approve him at the same time?
82. The senator!!! What a great way to bring it back to the beginning!
83. The hammer! Time to meet Thor next!
Overall Thoughts On Iron Man 2
Even though I was happy to get back to the Tony Stark world, this film didn’t live up to its potential for me. It seemed like one of those situations where everything really should have worked – great cast, awesome visuals, witty script – but it still fell flat for me.
Even though I enjoyed seeing Rourke in the film, and he looked good being bad, I don’t think there was enough for him to do here. He basically didn’t say anything for most of the film, and the final fight between his character Ivan and Tony was not as dramatic as I hoped it would be.
Downey was still fun to watch, but the real highlight of the film was Johansson as the badass Natasha Romanoff. She owned this character from the get-go, and I really don’t think anyone else could have filled those shoes as well as she did. I’ve already seen Avengers: Endgame and Black Widow, so I know her character arc later in the MCU, but I’m really excited to see the early years and how she forms relationships with her fellow hero pals.
Onto to Thor!
Rating: 3 out of 5
About Iron Man 2
With the world now aware that he is Iron Man, billionaire inventor Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) faces pressure from all sides to share his technology with the military. He is reluctant to divulge the secrets of his armored suit, fearing the information will fall into the wrong hands. With Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) and “Rhodey” Rhodes (Don Cheadle) by his side, Tony must forge new alliances and confront a powerful new enemy.