Flora & Ulysses is the newest family friendly film coming to Disney+ and in an interview with the cast, they gave us tons of fun facts!
During the press junket for Flora & Ulysses the cast told us all sorts of fun facts about the film, including a whole ton of Easter Eggs. This was one of my favorite junkets to attend because the cast and crew just have so much fun together! I was laughing for the majority of the interview, but feel like I really learned a lot about the behind the scenes as well.
- Alyson Hannigan (“Phyllis Buckman”)
- Ben Schwartz (“George Buckman”)
- Matilda Lawler (“Flora Buckman”)
- Danny Pudi (“Miller”)
- Lena Khan (Director)
- Kate DiCamillo (Author)
Flora & Ulysses Fun Facts
I love learning fun little tidbits about movies, and the cast and filmmaker interview for Flora & Ulysses did not disappoint! They are such a joy to talk to and I love that they gave us all sorts of behind the scenes information and things to look for in the movie. Here are just a few of my favorite things I learned about Flora & Ulysses, and the filming of it.
- Danny Pudi showed up on set with a literal twirly mustache since he is the villain of the movie — but Lena Khan made him save it immediately.
- Alyson Hannigan had to consume at least 37 lollipops while filming.
- Kate DiCamillo is a comics fan. She loves Peanuts comic strips and still reads one every morning.
- There is a bit of a DuckTales theme in this movie. The main voice cast of the newer show all have parts in Flora & Ulysses. Lena says this was sort of an intentional after the first couple had been cast, and because of it, she put in a lot of DuckTales Easter Eggs, including Bobby reading a DuckTales coming book and ducks with those color collars in Danny’s office.
- That is not all though, there are thousands of Easter Eggs in Flora & Ulysses for comic book fans and Disney fans. They are placed throughout the whole movie and include a giant penny as a Batcave reference, Mysterio, a ventriloquist dummy next to a TV, Buffy the Vampire Slayer references for Alyson Hannigan, and other books of Kate’s. As an Iron Man fan, one of my favorites is Matilda saying “I love you 3000.“
- Squirrel’s actually really do a superhero landing! The VFX team did not want to veer off the path of what a real squirrel would do, so this was a really fun thing to add, that is actually something that happens in real life!
- Lena would pretend to do the scenes with a stuffed animal squirrel to help Matilda Lawler see how it would look. Sometimes Matilda acted with a “grey, creepy, rat thing” and sometimes with absolutely nothing.
- Alyson Hannigan and Ben Schwartz had a lot of fun coming up with the awkward greeting they do in the film.
About Flora & Ulysses
Disney’s “Flora & Ulysses” is a delightful comedy-adventure based on the Newbery Award-winning book about 10-year old Flora, an avid comic book fan and a self-avowed cynic, whose parents have recently separated.
After rescuing a squirrel she names Ulysses, Flora is amazed to discover he possesses unique superhero powers which take them on an adventure of humorous complications that ultimately change Flora’s life–and her outlook–forever.