Downton Abbey fans were thrilled to hear that their favorite show was getting a follow up movie. That movie is now available on Blu-ray and to celebrate, here are some of the best Downton Abbey movie quotes.
The Downton Abbey movie sees the original cast return — alongside a host of newcomers. The incredible ensemble cast been applauded by critics as “funny and charming as ever” (Caroline Siede, The A.V. Club). The film chronicles the Crawley family one year after the conclusion of the series, as they prepare for the most important moment of their lives: an impending visit from the Royal Family.
Join the glitz, glamour and spectacle as the special visit unleashes scandal, romance and intrigue on the fan-favorite family and its staff members. Lauded as “a delight” (Stephanie Zacharek, TIME), the film comes from the series screenwriter and producer Julian Fellowes, and producers Gareth Neame and Liz Trubridge.
Downton Abbey Movie Quotes
This collection of Downton Abbey movie quotes are funny and insightful.
“I do think a woman’s place is eventually in the home, but I see no harm in her having some fun before she gets there.”
“I’m a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.”
“A woman of my age can face reality far better than most men.”
“There’s nothing simpler than avoiding people you don’t like. Avoiding one’s friends, that’s the real test.”
“Don’t be defeatist, dear. It’s very middle-class.”
“One way or the other, everyone goes down the aisle with half the story hidden.”
“At my age, one must ration one’s excitement.”
“It always happens when you give these little people power. It goes to their heads like strong drink!”
“My dear, love is a far more dangerous motive than dislike.”
“No life appears rewarding if you think too much about it.”
“He’s a man. Men don’t have rights.”
“Gentlemen don’t work … not real gentlemen.”
“Oh goody … let’s talk about money.”
“I’m not a romantic, but even I concede that the heart does not exist solely for the purpose to pump blood.”
“There can be too much truth in any relationship.”
“If you have something to say, say it!”
“My dear, all life is a series of problems which we must try and solve, first one and then the next and the next, until at last we die.”
“Hope is a tease designed to prevent us from accepting reality.
“A lack of compassion can be as vulgar as an excess of tears.”
Downton Abbey Blu-ray Bonus Features
My favorite thing about home releases is the bonus features. The deleted scenes always seem to give me a greater look inside the film, and put it together for me more. Sometimes I realize why they left one out, and sometimes I wish they had kept it in. The bloopers always have me laughing!
Downton Abbey Blu-ray Bonus Features:
- Deleted Scenes
- Cast Conversations – Exclusive roundtable interviews with the cast.
- Upstairs Cast
- Downstairs Cast
- The Royal Visit – A look at how the royal visit proved to be an ambitious event both on and behind the camera.
- True to the Twenties – Fans of DOWNTON ABBEY are charmed by the sheer grandeur of the aristocracy in the early 20th century. Learn how DOWNTON ABBEY maintains a reputation of being true to the time period.
- Welcome to Downton Abbey – A behind-the-scenes look at the grandeur of Highclere Castle and how it serves as a cornerstone in the Downton Abbey franchise.
- The Brilliance of Julian Fellowes – Writer Julian Fellowes has created a story and beloved characters that resonate with people across the world. This piece celebrates Julian’s brilliant creativity and reveals his approach to bringing Downton Abbey to the big screen.
- Downton Abbey Series Recap – Whether you’re new or just need a refresher, this series recap will catch you up on the story so far.
- Feature Commentary with Director Michael Engler
About Downton Abbey
This fall, the worldwide phenomenon DOWNTON ABBEY, becomes a grand motion picture event, as the beloved Crawleys and their intrepid staff prepare for the most important moment of their lives. A royal visit from the King and Queen of England will unleash scandal, romance and intrigue that will leave the future of Downton hanging in the balance.
Written by series creator Julian Fellowes and starring the original cast.