This post contains affiliate links.
As you probably know, I was lucky enough to hit the red carpet for the Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 premiere and interview the cast. It immediately became my favorite comic book movie for many reasons. This movie brings the feels, y’all. It is incredibly well done. The cast, the director, the humor, the emotions – all reasons to love it. GotG Vol. 2 is out on digital HD right now, and will hit stores on DVD and Blu-ray on August 22nd. To help celebrate, I threw a movie night under the stars with my family – and I am sharing our fun with you so you can do the same!
The Outdoor Movie Night Set Up
In case you missed it last month, here is what you need in order to create your movie night under the stars set-up:
- Portable pocket projector
- Tailgater speaker
- iPhone adapter or Android adapter
- HDMI Cable
- Outdoor Projector Screen or even just the side of the house or a white sheet!
Simply connect your phone to the speaker and projector using the adapter and the HDMI cable. Be sure the projector is lined up with your projector screen, sheet, or side of the house evenly. This way the movie will be straight and easier to watch, instead of an an angle. Then use Disney Movies Anywhere to pull up the movie you want to watch, in this case Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, and hit play! Then all that is left to do is relax and enjoy the movie. Oh, but don’t forget the tissues – you are going to need them for this one!
Because Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a space opera, we needed to have some space themed snacks. Something that my husband came up with (and we all loved) was EGO the Living Planted popcorn balls. These were super easy to make – just make popcorn balls! You do this by heating combine corn syrup, margarine, cold water, confectioners’ sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil over medium heat. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel and form them together in to balls. Just make sure they have cooled down before you try to eat them!
Another snack that I made for the night were Baby Groot Cookies! These were really fun and easy to make as well. We simply made cookie dough and cut the cookies to look like small trees. My daughters had fun decorating them and adding eyes to some of them. They were pretty delicious! Of course, we also picked up some astronaut ice cream because – well, admit it, that stuff is so good!
Must Have Items
No movie screening is complete without some toys and fun decor that is themed to fit the film! For Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, there is a lot out there to choose from. My girls and I were thrilled to receive a package filled with some amazing goodies! Our movie night kit included:
- Baby Groot Geek Tiki
- Rocket Raccoon Geek Tiki
- Baby Groot Journal
- Awesome Mix Tape Volume 2 Sound Machine
- Baby Groot Backpack
- Baby Groot Ear Bud Charms
- Dancing Baby Groot
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 on Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital
Don’t Miss the Bonus Footage
Do not miss the bonus footage for this one guys! In fact, you could have a perfectly amazing movie night just by watching that (provided you have seen the movie before). I love seeing the behind the scenes stuff, which is why I thought it was so cool to be on the set of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 in 2016! The gag reel is probably my favorite of all the footage – although all of the deleted scenes were pretty amazing too.
Blu-ray Bonus Footage
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
Digital Bonus Footage
All the features listed above plus four extra exclusives:
- Three Scene Breakdowns – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process in bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include:
- Eclector Escape
- Gamora and Nebula
- Rocket and Ravagers
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.
Peter Quill and his fellow Guardians are hired by a powerful alien race, the Sovereign, to protect their precious batteries from invaders. When it is discovered that Rocket has stolen the items they were sent to guard, the Sovereign dispatch their armada to search for vengeance. As the Guardians try to escape, the mystery of Peter’s parentage is revealed.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 comes home on Blu-ray August 22nd!