This post contains affiliate links.
Bambi has always been one of my absolute favorite Disney movies. I watched it many times growing up with my mom and sister – so naturally I was thrilled to be able to do it with my young daughters now. In order to help celebrate the 75th anniversary release of Bambi, we had a movie night under the stars! Now, we have family movie night every weekend, but this one was special. We even cuddled up outside with our pet bunny while watching, and just for the night, his name was Thumper instead of Riley.
My girls immediately fell in love with the characters, how could they not? And my youngest even shed a year or two (I am sure you can guess when). It was really exciting to see how in to the movie they were, and that they loved it just as much as I do. I want to help you throw the ultimate Bambi movie night under the stars too, so here are a few things that we did. I promise it is easier than you might think – and the whole family will love it!
Since this movie was already under the stars and in our backyard, there really wasn’t much we needed to do to transport ourselves in to the world of Bambi and the forest. We made sure to set up the sitting area by our garden in our yard so we were near some flowers and trees. My daughters loved pretending to be Thumper, Flower, and Bambi as they sat by the bushes! We have a pet bunny and we even brought him over to hang out with us during the film. It was just like we were in the movie!
For snacks, you of course have to serve some of Bambi and his friend’s favorites! And what do deers and bunnies love more than anything? Vegetables! We had carrots, celery, and peppers with a yummy ranch dip. We also served some trail mix which was made of pretzel rods, dried cranberries, and goldfish. For dessert, we had cookies that the girls decorated themselves, adding pretzel rods as antlers!
The Outdoor Movie Night Set Up
Here is what you need in order to create the set-up that we had:
- Portable pocket projector
- Tailgater speaker
- iPhone adapter or Android adapter
- HDMI Cable
- Outdoor Projector Screen or even just the side of the house or a white sheet!
Once you have these, it is really easy to set everything up. Simply connect your phone to the speaker and projector using the adapter and the HDMI cable. Be sure the projector is lined up with your projector screen, sheet, or side of the house evenly. This way the movie will be straight and easier to watch, instead of an an angle. Then use Disney Movies Anywhere to pull up the movie you want to watch, in this case Bambi, and hit play! Then all that is left to do is relax and enjoy the movie with your family! We plan to go camping a lot this summer, and have decided we will always bring our movie night set up with us!
If it ends up raining or something else happens where you can’t set it up inside, the same set up can be used indoors! If you have a newer laptop or computer, chances are you can skip right over the hooking it up to your phone and project it from that with the HDMI cable. When we did this we also changed in to our PJs to make ourselves more comfortable! We pulled out some big bean bag chairs and all cuddled up to enjoy Bambi!
The Collection release of Bambi includes a variety of new bonus material, including recordings of Walt Disney discussing the challenges and triumphs during the production of “Bambi;” deleted scenes and characters; stories and effects that “Bambi” had on the Studio, other films and artists; and much, much more. Additionally, the Digital HD release includes an exclusive, heartfelt feature on the incredible artist, Tyrus Wong, who inspired the film’s soft watercolor backgrounds and beautiful palette.
“Bambi” was released in 1942 during World War II and took over five years to make due to its exquisite hand-drawn artwork and attention to detail. Beloved by generations, “Bambi” holds the No. 3 spot on the American Film Institute’s “10 Top 10,” honoring the 10 greatest animated films of all time. The timeless tale features an adorable young deer named Bambi who explores the wonders and challenges of the woods with his playful pal Thumper, the lovable skunk Flower, and wise Friend Owl – and ultimately fulfills his destiny as prince of the forest.
Pick up Bambi on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand on June 6!
- THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
- STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
- DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
- DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
- BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
- OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
- CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
- DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
- THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
- STORY: TELLING THE TALE
- CHARACTERS: DRAWN TO NATURE
- ACTORS: GIVING VOICE TO ANIMALS
- ART DESIGN: IMPRESSIONS OF THE FOREST
- MUSIC: NATURE’S SYMPHONY
- HISTORY: BACK TO THE BEGINNING
- TRICK OF THE TRADE (Excerpt)
- INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
- THE OLD MILL: ANIMATED SHORT
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
- THE GOLDEN AGE
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer